To kick off our first ever fund drive, we're hosting a party right here at the Enthusiasm Collective's Downtown-Portland workspace! It's gonna be a blast, including:
- A gallery of our members' work
- A series of five-minute lightning talks from our members about their work, interests, and what it's like working at the Enthusiasm Collective.
- A balloon pop and raffle, with prizes from Enthusiasm Collective members and local businesses.
- Food, drink, and music!
Please RSVP, and we'll see you there!
WAIT, WHAT'S THIS ACTUALLY ABOUT?
The Enthusiasm Collective is a diverse group of artists, activists, filmmakers, writers, designers, curators, game designers, researchers, cartoonists, and thinkers — all sharing an inclusive co-working space in downtown Portland.
Our members contribute to the collective on a pay-what-you-can basis, which lets us include all kinds of people who wouldn't be able to afford a traditional co-working space (it's usually $300+ for a desk) as well as those who don't feel welcome elsewhere (most co-working spaces are dominated by white male start-up culture).
Thanks in part to that unique funding model, we've made our workspace into a haven and a melting pot for the kind of creative and independent thinkers who made Portland so special in the first place — despite an environment of skyrocketing commercial rents.
OKAY, THEN WHY THE FUND DRIVE?
Our workspace in Chinatown opened last October, and we've been thriving ever since. As our membership approaches the capacity of the space, we're wrapping up our growth spurt and moving on to some exciting new projects:
- Registering as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. This will substantially reduce our long-term costs, and send a clear message about what we stand for. ($1,500)
- Acquiring a few pieces of functional furniture to make the space as useful as possible for our members. ($500)
- Putting down a security deposit on our space so we can transition from a sub-lease to a direct long-term lease. (estimated at $4,000, negotiations pending)
- Contracting with an event coordinator so we can better share our space with the wider community by hosting talks, workshops, gatherings, and other events. (estimated at $4,000 for the first year)
That brings our total fundraising goal to a nice round $10,000. With your help, we can get there!
I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PARTY. CAN I DONATE NOW?
By all means! Just click the button below:
Thanks to Colin Laurel for donating the banner illustration for this event. You can buy prints of his work at https://www.inprnt.com/gallery/acieedtrax/